Monday, October 29, 2012

Week 7- comprehension and think-alouds

I really enjoyed reading "Kindergardeners Can Do It Too!". It describes and explains a variety of ways to teach comprehension to young readers.  I think that this is such an important topic because it raises a great question, how do you teach something so abstract to people so small?

What I took from the article is a solution to that. Mrs. Hope makes the process of comprehension less abstract and more tangible. She...
  • uses charts and posters to map questions and thoughts 
  • allows the students to 'click' on their brains
  • lets them use physical representations of connections, questions, & ideas 
  • lets students represent their ideas in illustrations. 

All of these things make the concept and skill of comprehension more concrete to the students, something they can strategize and accomplish.

I think that these strategies are great for kindergardeners because they are aimed at their developmental level.  As 5 and 6 year olds, these kids are in the pre-operational stage, where they like to use symbols, letting something represent something else.  They are also in the logographic stage of reading where they like to have pictures and images represent ideas.

1. What are some other ways to encourage reading comprehension in young readers?
2. Did you work on comprehension as a kindergardener? 1st or 2nd graders?

2 comments:

  1. I love that you included allowing students to represent THEIR ideas and illustrations-- so important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really liked the Kindergardeners can do it too article! I loved the part about the "mind movies" where the kids visualized what they thought was happening as the teacher read and then were given time to draw out what they visualized. I think this is a great way to engage your students and encourage their reading comprehension. I can't really remember anything specific that I worked on with comprehension as a student. I feel like my teachers probably worked a lot with reading the passage and answering the questions.

    ReplyDelete